- Categories: News
Residents Flee Eight Kebbi Villages Over Bandit Attacks
No less than three persons have been killed by bandits in Kebbi State.
They were confirmed dead after bandits unleashed terror on Zagi and other villages in Augie LGA of Kebbi state.
According to NAN, the attack, which occurred on Wednesday left many people injured while about 15 others were abducted.
The other affected villages are Tungar Rafi, Tungar Tudu, Keke, Kwaido, Sabongarin Kwaido, Tungar Chichira and Tattazai.
The residents were said to have fled their communities for safety amid the violence.
Muhammadu Lawali-Sule, the village head of Zagi, said the bandits attacked by midnight. He added that the villagers initially resisted the attackers but were overpowered.
Ahmed Magaji-Kontagora, the state commissioner of police, said additional security personnel had been mobilised to the area to support those already on ground.
He assured that the bandits had been blocked by troops and prevented from gaining further access.
Magaji-Kontagora advised the fleeing residents to return to their respective villages and continue with their normal businesses.
Lawal Muhammad, Augie LGA chair, said security had been beefed up around the villages and other areas.
He said an internally displaced persons camp had been established in the area.
“We must commend the security agencies in the state for deploying security personnel to avert the reoccurrence of the incident,” he said.
“The security agencies have promptly responded by deploying more personnel and normalcy has now returned to the area.”