News

For the second weekend in a row, residents of Lagos State were trapped in their homes and some others spent hours in traffic as a result of the flood following hours of downpour yesterday. The clouds had darkened since Friday, showing signs of an impending rain, but it was yesterday when the clouds opened its bowels and the rains poured. The showers continued non-stop, affecting people in different parts of the city. On Friday, the state government had alerted residents of Ikoyi, Victoria Island and other parts of the state that flood could last throughout the weekend, owing to the release of water from the Oyan Dam. Following the flood occasioned by the release of water from the dam, which has submerged its headquarters office in Ogun State, the management of Core TV News has announced a temporary shutdown of the station. In a statement released at the weekend, the Managing Director and founder of the station, Olajide Adediran, said the decision, though a painful one to take, was designed to safeguard the lives of its members of staff and the station’s multi million naira equipment from further damage. He urged the Ogun State government and other stakeholders to find a lasting solution to the issue of release of water from the Oyan Dam, assuring the general public that the station would bounce back in the next few days once the situation improves. He said: “The operations of the station have become near impossible over the last 48 hours following the rise in water levels in its discovery gardens estate headquarters within the Isheri/Opic estates just off the Lagos-Ibadan expressway. “We plead with our staff members and our teeming viewers to be patient and endure with us, we shall come back on air as soon as the situation is receded.” The Lagos State government had earlier warned that the state may record more flooding owing to the rise of water sea level. The lagoon is said to be having difficulty discharging water into the ocean causing backflow into the drainage channels. But Environment and Water Resources Commissioner, Tunji Bello, says officials are working on different measures to remove the constriction and blockades to ease free passage for the resultant flooding. The state government is also in talks with the officials of the Ogun Osun River Basin Authority, which is releasing water to do so gradually. He explained that the rise in sea level has contributed to the current flooding in many parts of Ikoyi, V.I, Dolphin and Oworonshoki as the lagoon cannot discharge and is causing back flow into drainage outlets. Meanwhile, residents of Agudama community yesterday took to the streets of Yenagoa, Bayelsa State capital to protest against the death of two persons, Jeff Julius, aged 22, and Adeni Julius, who drowned while crossing the flooded Epie Creek on Friday night. According to eyewitnesses, the deceased and five others were ferrying cross the Epie Creek in a canoe from the Mbiama/Yenagoa Road to their residence, at about 11:00p.m. on Friday when their canoe capsized. It was learnt that local residents managed to save five occupants of the ill-fated canoe but that by the time they could rescue Jeff and Adeni, the current of the flood had swept them under water where they drowned. It was further learnt that several efforts to recover the bodies of the deceased proved abortive until the early hours of Sunday when the bodies resurfaced as a result of change in the density of the bodies. Speaking on behalf of the grieving father, uncle of the deceased, Mr. Julius Diepreye, blamed the government for the death of his nephews, saying the government has continuously failed to live up to its responsibilities. “The reason is that government has failed to construct the road linking this area to Igbogene. For government to build a 100-meter bridge across the creek is a problem. “So what we normally do every year is to use a canoe to cross over to the city each time there is flood. As a result of this I lost two of my nephews. “I am not asking government to give my family money, I am not asking government to give us relief materials as flood victims because I don’t need it. “What I want government to do is to construct our road so that there would be no more loss of lives and properties. If the state government cannot do it, then the NDDC should do it for us.”

For the second weekend in a row, residents of Lagos State were trapped in their…

The Minister of Finance, Mrs. Zainab Ahmed, yesterday said the Federal Government’s request for a $3 billion World Bank loan to finance the power sector was at the verge of being granted. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) quoted her making the disclosure at a media briefing on activities of the Nigerian delegation to the just-concluded World Bank/International Monetary Fund Annual Meetings in Washington. She said: “We put a request for financing of the power sector at a range of $1.5 billion to $4 billion. “At the end of the day, it looks like we will be looking at a funding size of $3 billion that will be provided in four tranches of $750 million each. “Our plan was that the team would have been able to go to the World Bank for the approval of the first tranche in April 2019.” The minister explained that the loan would be used to plug funding gaps and tariff differentials, which she said, private investors in the sector had always complained about. Ahmed said a portion of the money would go into the transmission segment of the electricity value chain. She continued: “If the government is able to expand the facility to $4 billion, the additional $1 billion would be used for the distribution segment. “It will help us to exit the subsidy that is now inherent in the power sector. “It is supposed to be to reform the sector and to restore the distribution business side of the sector, especially to put it on a stronger footing. “This is to ensure that they are freed up enough to be able to go out and raise finances to invest in expanding the distribution networks.’’ The minister stated further that the funds would also address the shortfall between the current tariff and the actual cost of generating electricity. Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari will today depart Abuja to attend a three-day Russia-Africa Summit in Sochi, Russia. The event, which holds from October 23 to 25, is focusing on exploring and expanding opportunities in security, trade and investment as well as science and technology and gas production. During the trip, the president will meet with his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, to strengthen economic ties. A statement yesterday by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said the Nigerian leader would return to the country immediately after the summit.

The Minister of Finance, Mrs. Zainab Ahmed, yesterday said the Federal Government’s request for a…

Pre-Disconnection Notice Made Pursuant To The Nigerian Communications Act 2003 And The Guidelines For Procedure For Granting Approval To Disconnect Telecommunications Operators The Nigerian Communications Commission hereby notifies the general public and subscribers of Glomobile Limited (Glomobile) that approval has been granted for the partial disconnection of Glomobile from Airtel Networks Limited (Airtel) as a result of non-settlement of interconnect charges. Glomobile was notified of the application and was given opportunity to comment and state its case. The Commission having examined the application and circumstances surrounding the indebtedness determined that the affected operator does not have sufficient reason for non-payment of interconnect charges. All subscribers are therefore requested to TAKE NOTICE that: 1.The Commission has approved the Partial Disconnection of Glomobile by Airtel in accordance with Section 100 of the Nigerian Communications Act 2003 and the Guidelines on Procedure for Granting Approval to Disconnect Telecommunications Operators. 2.At the expiration of 10 days from the date of this notice. subscribers on the network of Glomobile will no longer be able to make calls to Airtel, but will be able to RECEIVE CALLS. 3.The Partial Disconnection however, will allow in-bound calls to the Glomobile network. Please note that this disconnection will subsist until otherwise determined by the Commission.

Pre-Disconnection Notice Made Pursuant To The Nigerian Communications Act 2003 And The Guidelines For Procedure…